Thursday, October 18, 2007

Senseless Babbling

Lately I have been feeling a bit irresponsible towards my blog. I do not post in it with the frequency I would like to, and when I want to post something I usually feel myself bereft of any ideas on what to write good enough as to actually make me sit down and type something. While I do feel that I am neglecting not only my blog but also you, my readers (if there's any besides Rachel and Sascha), from the day I created this Haven I knew that I wanted only to make worth while entries, and not make it another whining space. As a friend told me when I said I was thinking about making a blog; "Do you think you can do something not completely self-centred or an emo site? If you can, then go for it. If you can't, spare us the pain." I can say now, that I agree and here is why.

I was driving down Mcal. Lopez, one of the main avenues in my home city, when I saw a poster on a wall. It read "Es hora que digamos la verdad. Asuncion Anti-Fashion" (It's time for us to tell the truth. AsunciĆ³n Anti-Fashion) and the url www.asuncionantifashion.com beneath that slogan. I have to say that I did feel rather intrigued so as soon as I could I visited the site, which resulted to be a blog. After reading quite an interesting intro, and going through two redirecting sites, I ended up in a blog right here in the blogger domain, and very disillusioned. What I actually had hopes of being something interesting ended up being exactly what I didn't want this blog to be, a whining site. It is basically people getting together and complaining about the country. What's worse, the blog's owner's name can't be seen anywhere in it; not as the author of the entries nor on one side of the screen. Who ever this person is he prefers to throw the rock and hide his (or her) hand in the warm comfort of anonymity. This is not bravery, it is not courage, and it is not the truth the so claim to seek; this is pure poison being instigated by a person (or people) who like to criticize and play revolutionaries when the truth is that the are afraid to back their comments with their names.

What I said is harsh, and I am sorry if it offended anyone, specially the site owner; but the fact is that it served as a wake up call and a reminder to myself of what this blog is. It is a Haven. A haven from the things out in the real world; a haven from the voices outside my head; a haven from the constant bickering and whining of the people around me; a haven where people are not told what to think, but to think.

I have read some entries in that blog and have my disagreements but I wonder what would happen if I actually post them; if I stir their world vision as I so enjoy doing. I don't know why, but I do think that a flame war will begin and, honestly, I don't feel like being hated by those people. You see, from the moment you stop accepting opinions or insights which differ from yours and those of your group, you have ceased being a debating group and have become a mob.

I am sorry if I do not post with the frequency you or even I would like, but as I said in my first entry; " what I can not promise in updating I can promise in content, so don't stop dropping by occasionally."

Enjoy.

4 comments:

- Me! said...

Being Anti-fashion is just another form of fashion. It's not mainstream fashion, but it is fashion still... What I really don't get is why some people so desperately want to sympathize with the poor, or why they want to look as if they thought that poverty is better than wealth. I understand why you would want to help the poor, but not why you would like to feel identified with it. There's nothing cool about being poor, being poor doesn't make you a better person -nor a worse one-. Being poor is that: BEING POOR. "AsunciĆ³n Anti-Fashion, desfile de gente pobre y sin esperanzas." What on Earth? There's a reason why we don't want to see poverty: it reminds us of the horror of being in that situation and just how easily we can hit rock bottom. Being poor is not the aim; the aim is getting people out of their poverty! Yes, it is good to show everybody that there are poor people and that they need help, it is wrong to feel identified with them and pretend that we're doing some sort of good.

I have recently watched MTV's Sweet 16, and I was dumbstruck. "Destinee Buchanan" was the name of a spoiled brat whose father had been an American-football player. Not only was she the most stupid 16 year-old I had ever seen, but her parents also helped make her that way. Not only had she had all her wishes granted as she wanted them, but she also got a 76,000 dollar car for the 16th birthday. Ever heard of the "donate a dollar, save a life" UN campaign? These are three extremes: the extremely rich idiot who doesn't care about anybody but itself -Yes ITself-, the extremely poor person who's got nothing and then the average idiot who complains! Give me a break, if you're not actually doing something about it, don't complain!
I agree Vik! (Sorry if there're any mistakes, I'm not in the mood to correct them!)

Rachel said...

all is said already ...

Victor R. Vasconsellos K. said...

Well, now I have a better understanding of what Asuncion Antifashion is; it's a Fashion show. No, really, check the site again.

I don't mean to sound ironic or anything (actually, I kinda like it XD) since I was watching an interview with this guy, the one behind this whole antifashion thing, and he actually made a bit of sense (highlight bit please) in what he said. He said that he is a bit tired of the fake plastic reality we see of our country hen we go to the shoppings, or when we go to the fashion shows and so on. He said that that's not the real Paraguay and that people should see the real Paraguay. Of course, the best way to do this is beyond any doubt another fashion show. Wait, sorry, ANTIfashion show. My mistake.

Rachel said...

xD he is in what i call.. a tekorei moment =P